May 3, 2017

Confidence in Dating & Being Single

For all the single college ladies, we sure do know that question we get asked every time we return home for the holidays. Our families are so excited to see us, and as the conversation continues at the dinner table a relative always pops the question that makes us slightly cringe. “Do you have a boyfriend?” or “Why don’t you have a boyfriend?” To which I personally respond to quickly with, “No,” and “I don’t know,” so that I can continue eating.

During the last three years of college I have become pretty indifferent to these two questions. I am used to seeing the surprise in peoples’ faces when they realize I have not had a significant other at all during my last three years in college. Let alone when they realize I have never had a boyfriend the last 21 years of my life. “But you’re such an amazing girl!” they say…or “But how is that possible?” Well my sisters, I assure you that it is perfectly OK to be single and doing you as you go through college!


College is a time of growth and learning. It is a time of opening our minds to different ideas and gaining new perspectives on the situations occurring around us. As you meet different potential partners in college make sure there is one thing you are not changing for anyone: your true self. You know how you are, just like I know how I am. You should not have to change your personality, your style, the activities you like to do, the food you like to eat, or anything else that makes you…you! I know that what I need in a guy is someone who fully accepts my chocolate molten cake loving, competitive sports playing, pensively observing, world travelling, and two-hour napping kind of personality.

So have confidence in your unique personality and be happy because there is only one of you in the world and people should appreciate that, especially the guy you decide to call your partner. Value your worth and singleness because only the best person for you deserves you. And always remember that your sisters have your back because we know how special each and everyone of us are!

Princess Sutherland is a member of the Zeta Omicron chapter at Johns Hopkins University. To read more about her, click here.

No comments: