December 22, 2016

You Are Meant to Be an Alpha Phi


I will be the first person to tell anyone that I don't always fit the stereotype of a sorority girl. Some nights, I would prefer to stay in and read a good book instead of going out. I like to do my own thing and in general, I'm a pretty introverted person with a small set of very close friends. I'm happy with who I am and all the things I've accomplished, but sometimes I feel like I'm little bit outside of the world everyone else is in.  

However, this has never stopped me from being myself. In fact, as I've gotten older, I've learned to embrace my differences because that's what makes me unique and interesting. But more importantly, I've realized that these qualities are what makes me happy and specifically, make me a valuable member of the Delta Kappa chapter at University of Wisconsin La Crosse.  

As a result of my personal experiences, I've been able to recognize that at some point everyone has felt the same way that I have. The difference is that I have grown to use this as a way to connect with my sisters and take advantage of potential opportunities to help others. When I see that one of my sisters is feeling like this, I make an effort to ask her if they want to get together and talk, or I'll try to compliment her and make sure that she knows that she's truly appreciated for who she is. It's important to remember that we're all human and we have our moments of vulnerability, but helping each other through these moments are what makes us such a strong sisterhood.   

Personally, I try to model my experiences in a way that is influential to my sisters, especially newer members. I also know that when I'm feeling down, it's important to surround myself with people who will believe in me and love me no matter what. That's one of the biggest reasons why I joined Alpha Phi.  

So when I look back on my time in Alpha Phi, I still remember one of the last questions I was asked as I went through recruitment my freshman year. As our round was coming to a close, a junior member at the time asked me "What is something that you want us to remember you by?"  

I paused, thinking about my answer. I wasn't sure if I should have said what was on my mind, but I went for it anyways. I told her that I wasn't afraid to be myself. That answer benefited me in the long run because I have been a proud member for the past three years.  

 I am a member who is unafraid to be myself and I have always felt supported by my chapter.  

I want my other Alpha Phi sisters around the world to know that no matter who you are, you are loved and accepted by your sisters. You are appreciated for who you are. You are a part of Alpha Phi for a very important purpose. You received your bid because your sisters saw something in you that shined bright and reflected your personality. Whether you fit the stereotypical mold or not, whether you've felt exactly what I've explained or not, you are making a positive difference in the world and you belong in Alpha Phi. 

Ellie Brown is a collegiate member at the Delta Kappa chapter at University of Wisconsin-LaCrosse. To learn more about Ellie, click here.

No comments: