December 19, 2016

Inside the EO: Elisa Drake

What is your name: Elisa Drake

Where are you originally from? I grew up in Highland Park, Illinois. 

Where did you attend college? I attended Brandeis University near Boston. 

What was your major in college? American Studies, which was an interesting major for people not sure what they wanted to do and included classes like Sports in America, History of the Cold War and American Conspiracy Theories. I also took the only Journalism course offered.

What was your plan post-graduation? I planned to be a teacher, and my first job out of college was as a preschool teacher. I did that for only about a year and a half before applying for graduate journalism programs.

Why did you decide to work for Alpha Phi International Fraternity? The job as Editor-in-Chief of the Alpha Phi Quarterly combines so many things I have done and enjoy doing, so when I saw the posting, I applied immediately.  

What is your job title? Editor-in-Chief of the Quarterly

How long have you been working for Alpha Phi? Since the end of November

What do you like best about working at the Executive Office? So far, I’d say the best thing about working here for me is seeing how Alpha Phi impacts its collegiate members and alumnae in so many positive ways. The (mostly) women in the Executive Office clearly embody this enthusiasm for Alpha Phi and its principles. I’m looking forward to contributing to that positive impact through the pages of the Quarterly.

What are some of your goals for the next few years? Continue to bring the Quarterly to higher levels of form and function and add to the communications awards it’s received already!

Do you have any advice for current collegiate members? Build your friendships, try new things, get out of your comfort zone sometimes, speak up in class, get involved, call your mom and tell her you’re OK, have fun and be safe.

No comments: