November 9, 2016

Collegiate Perspective: It's Someone's Somebody


As an Alpha Phi, I have always been honored to raise awareness and money for women’s cardiac research. A hundred times over I have explained to friends and family the dangers of heart disease, that heart disease is the number one killer of women in America, and that the Alpha Phi Foundation strives to help women with heart disease across the board every single day.

But I will be the first to admit that I never fully understood what I was raising money for, and I never really knew the severity of what I was telling people, until the moment I watched my sister fight for her life. That sister is Ali Macedo.


Ali was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia, or SVT, at the age of 8. Since then Ali has had 7 heart ablations surgeries. She tells me that with each surgery she has had, the technology that has become available is astounding and possible thanks to the hard work of people like the ladies of Alpha Phi.

One night during chapter meeting, I noticed that Ali looked in pain and uncomfortable, I calmly mouthed to her “are you okay?” she nodded and I dismissed the situation. Minutes later Ali experienced a seizure, and my life changed forever.

This was the first time I witnessed anything like that. I felt helpless; I did not know the proper way to react. There was nothing more that I wanted than to find a way to take the weight off her shoulders.

But this is not about me. It is about Ali, it is about the hundreds of women out there that have to walk through their life fighting, waiting and hoping for a cure. We cannot let them walk alone. Ali has put her trust in us, and we have promised to become her support system.



“I found my home in Alpha Phi. I fell in love with this organization because it was women helping women like me that are affected by heart disease. I am proud to talk about my fight with heart disease because I no longer let my condition define me.” said Macedo.
So hand in hand, we walk with determination, we walk with our heads held high, and we are certain that together we will reach new heights.

Now is the time to for all our sisters to join us in this cause. It is the time to raise awareness, raise money and create pillars of support for the women that need us.


It could be your mom, your sister, your aunt or your best friend, either way, it is someone’s somebody. That is why we strive to help our heart warriors through the power of philanthropy.

Yasmin Quintana is a collegiate member at the Epsilon Upsilon chapter at California State University Northridge. To learn more about Yasmin, click here.

No comments: