February 24, 2016

Collegiate Perspective: One Semester Down, Seven to Go: What Freshman Year Has Taught Me So Far


Many say that freshman year is the best year of your college career. You’re the new kid on campus, and you’re bursting with excitement to explore the countless opportunities your new home has to offer.  At first, freshman year can be a terrifying transition, but with one semester under my belt, I can confidently say that these past six months have been the best of my life. I have fallen in love with my university, made so many amazing friends, and have had the chance to give back to my community through my sorority.

Freshman year has taught me numerous things about myself that I never knew until now. My one piece of advice for all incoming freshman is to not hold yourself back, even in the slightest, during your first few weeks of college. Those weeks are so important for building friendships, getting familiar with campus, and exploring all the clubs and organizations you will soon have the opportunity to join. It is not the time to be timid. Branch outside of your comfort zone – put yourself out there because everyone is trying to make friends. Laugh about the fact that sometimes, you have absolutely no idea what you’re doing; but most importantly know that even though it’s scary, you’re not alone.

If there is one thing to be said about freshman year, it’s that even though it may be one of the most hectic and nerve-wracking periods of your life, it’s sure to be filled with fond memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. Don’t take a second of it for granted because before you know it, you’ll be walking across the stage, diploma in hand, looking back on how far you’ve come.

Tatum Pugh is a collegiate member of the University of Missouri (Omicron). To learn more about Tatum, click here.

No comments: