November 25, 2015

Collegiate Perspective: The Importance of Service

All over the United States and Canada, Alpha Phis continue to raise money and awareness for our beloved philanthropic partner, Alpha Phi Foundation. We are so passionate about giving women educational and leadership opportunities, as well as encouraging heart-healthy lifestyles. As collegiate women and sisters of Alpha Phi, we are fortunate to have the ability to further our educations and share such a strong sisterhood. 

The core values of our fraternity are sisterhood, scholarship, leadership, loyalty, character development, and my personal favorite: service. While it is important to raise money and awareness for Alpha Phi Foundation, it is also the duty of an Alpha Phi to give back to the community. Service is one small way to make a big difference. 

Before I joined Alpha Phi, I hardly participated in community service. But Greek life gave me a passion and a calling for serving others. Through Greek life, I have the opportunity to give back to the community that has supported me throughout my collegiate career. From participating in the 9/11 Day of Service, helping clean up a community garden with our alumnae or collecting canned goods for Food for Others during Greek Week, I have found true happiness in giving back to both my University and neighbors in Fairfax. Planning and having community service events within my chapter, and George Mason at large, has been the most rewarding experience in my college career. 

Service activities are also a great way to bond with sisters. Through participating in service with my chapter, our alumnae and the Mason community, I have gotten to know my sisters better and seen them act as leaders, committed to enacting positive change in the community and in each other.  

Thanksgiving is a time for reflecting on all the joy in our lives and giving thanks to all of those who make it joyful. While we are expressing our gratitude this season, it is important to remember that there are always those that are in need of more joy in our communities. So my challenge to you, my sisters, is to go out and make a difference in someone’s life this holiday season.

Caroline Whitlock is a collegiate member at George Mason (Eta Lambda). Learn more about Caroline by clicking here.


No comments: