October 5, 2015

On the Road: Passion over Plans


I was always the girl with a plan. Throughout college I had in my head that I would graduate, immediately move to City X, begin working in industry Y, work my way up the company ladder and I would be happy. After spending a summer in the city I thought I would love, working for a company that I thought offered my dream job, I began to realize that maybe this big plan I had in mind was not actually what I wanted to do. I started to question what it was that I really wanted out of my future career. I soon realized I was most afraid of accepting a job offer just to have a job. I wanted to work for a company that I was passionate about.

I started asking myself what were my passions and Alpha Phi was one of the first things that came to mind. This organization had given me the most amazing college experience. It challenged me, connected me with a group of talented women who I admire, but most importantly it helped me grow into the woman I am today. I knew Alpha Phi would have this effect on women for many years to come and I wanted to be a part of that process. I decided to apply for the Educational Leadership Consultant position and I am so thankful I did.

Not only has this job allowed me to share something I am passionate about with other women, but, in true Alpha Phi fashion, it has continued to push me to grow. I can without a doubt say that if I had taken any other job  out of college I would not have developed half the skills I am developing as an ELC. I’m learning to work with all different groups of people, I am creating and implementing procedures, acting as a mentor, self-managing, budgeting and the list goes on and on. 

This position has also pushed me to grow on a personal level. Being a California girl and relocating to the east coast for eight months has been a challenging and wonderful experience. I am learning how to adapt to change, function independently, and I am starting to understand what truly makes me happy.

I am so thankful I was chosen to be an ELC. The lessons that I have learned during this job I know will be invaluable as I continue with both my professional and personal life. The main thing I want to share with you all is, it is ok to not have a set plan! Chose to follow your passions, because I can guarantee you that journey will be better than any plan you have set for yourself. 

Lauren Drewniany (Epsilon Chi–Cal Poly) is a first year educational leadership consultant. Learn more about Lauren by clicking here.

No comments: