October 21, 2015

Collegiate Perspective: How To Do It All and Not Be Stressed

When I started my first year at George Mason University I was eager to dive into various leadership roles head-first, like many other motivated collegians. I had never really been involved in high school and knew I wanted to make the most of my college experience. First, I joined Alpha Phi and applied for an appointed position within my chapter. Then, I helped launch a community service organization at my school. Eventually, I took on positions in Panhellenic and student government as well. I was addicted to leadership.

I found myself drowning in 18-credits of home work and stressed out helping with events for four different organizations. I was constantly trying to make sure everyone was happy, throwing my own mental well-being to the wind in order to meet deadlines. I put too much pressure on myself to be “the best”- without having a clear idea of what that was.

Eventually, I learned the power of time management and delegating tasks. Sometimes we think “Well if I don’t do it, somebody else won’t be able to do it right!” Well the truth is, we’re wrong. Asking your sisters and colleagues for help is never a bad thing. In fact, getting multiple opinions on a decision can give you many different perspectives and new ideas. There is no reason to purposely overwhelm yourself when you have friends who want to support you.

Time management is a valuable skill I’ve gained in college that I know I’ll take with me into my professional career. The most important aspect of managing your time in college is staying organized. Some tools that have helped me stay organized would be my (Lilly) planner, a calendar and my google drive. When you know about your commitments and responsibilities ahead of time, you can plan ahead and prioritize, stress free!

I also realized that sometimes we may come to a point where we cannot take on any more projects or tasks. Sometimes we just need to say, “I have too much on my plate”. We all want to be the best sisters we can be: serving on committees, holding positions, attending every event. But while we’re running a mile a minute we need to stop and prioritize.  As we balance school, internships, relationships, our chapter and other clubs, we must keep in mind our well-being for a healthy lifestyle. 

Now well into my senior year, I know I will never regret being so involved in my sorority and on my campus. I am still on the Executive Board of Alpha Phi, the Panhellenic Council, and student government; living proof that you can do it all and remain sane, if you stay organized, manage your time well and ask for help!

Caroline Whitlock is a collegiate member at George Mason (Eta Lambda). Learn more about Caroline by clicking here.

No comments: