September 21, 2015

On the Road: Five Years of Bid Day

A little over four years ago I was sitting in an auditorium seat at my university with an envelope in my hand. My mind was racing, my heart pounding. I was about to open the envelope that would not only change my college experience, but would change my life. I had no idea that this card would have such a big impact on my future. I had no idea that I was about to run to my future best friends and role models. And I had no idea as I ran to the big grey house on the corner of the street, where my sisters were welcoming my new member class with hugs and tears, that I would be running home. 

I knew little about Greek life going into recruitment, so I didn’t know what bid day would be like, and I’m not going to lie, it was a little awkward. Looking at older members having a blast, us new members were quiet and nervous, but excited all at once. We looked to them wanting what they had, although we didn’t completely understand it. 

During the remaining three years of the undergraduate experience, bid day is one of the most anticipated days of the year. It’s a time to spend with your newest sisters, and a time to reconnect with your current ones. It’s a sign that recruitment is over, and a start to the amazing year ahead. And as senior year rolls around, it symbolizes the beginning of the end of your four years. Each year bid day gets better, but honestly, the fifth bid day might be the best.

You may think I’m crazy saying it’s possible to enjoy a bid day at a chapter that isn’t my own, but it’s a bid day not everyone gets to experience, and that might be what makes it so special. As an ELC, I come into a chapter sometimes during polish week, and sometimes just a few hours before recruitment, but either way, I come in as a stranger. Throughout the few days that I spend with a chapter I get to see their sisterhood, and I soon learn what makes them the chapter they are. Although my visits may just be a few days, I fall in love with the uniqueness of each chapter I visit. 

And now, I get to watch them. I get to see their excitement and tears as the list of new members is read to them, and I get to see their future littles and best friends run to their arms. And even though it isn’t my home chapter, it’s an honor to be a part of that. These chapter members welcome me into their home with open arms and open hearts, just as they welcome their new members, and for that, I am forever grateful.


Alex Parkinson (Psi - South Dakota) is a first year educational leadership consultant. Learn more about Alex by clicking here.





No comments: