September 14, 2015

On the Road: Bittersweet Goodbye

The day we got our schedules, I was overjoyed. My first visit would be at the University of Missouri, or Mizzou, and my second visit would be to the University of Mississippi, or Ole Miss. As a Louisiana girl who graduated from LSU, I felt a sense of relief that I would be visiting two SEC schools. What I did not realize in that moment is how much I would learn to love each of these schools as if they were my own.

I was at Mizzou for all of their polish week and formal recruitment. Of course, as with any recruitment visit, the recruitment team and I had some very early mornings and really late nights. The Starbucks baristas almost knew our orders by the end of it all. While in Columbia, Missouri – or CoMo, as the girls call it – I got to experience some of things that make the Omicron chapter and Mizzou so special: O rings, Andy’s Frozen Custard, Shakespeare’s Pizza, the TFL, Greek Town… I could go on and on. I also made friendships that will last much longer than my two-week visit. I watched the Omicron chapter grow and become even stronger than it already was. All of those things combined are what made it so difficult to leave. When my visit was over, I packed up and headed for Oxford, Mississippi. I was excited to be heading to Ole Miss to help start a new chapter there, but sad to be leaving Mizzou, the first school I had visited and gotten so attached to. It was definitely a bittersweet feeling.


It was that day that I realized how unique being an Educational Leadership Consultant really is. Every experience is unique; no two ELCs will have exactly the same experience even if they are sent to the same chapters. I don’t know where I will go next, but I know I’ll love it just as much as I’ve loved my other visits.

Michele Dalon (Delta Tau, LSU) is a first year educational leadership consultant. Learn more about Michele by clicking here.


No comments: