September 24, 2015

Collegiate Perspective: Positive Actions with Social Media


My sophomore year, I was lucky enough to be appointed director of advertising for the Theta Delta chapter of Alpha Phi. In this role, I learned a lot about the importance of representing the authenticity and beauty of my fellow sisters with marketing and risk management in mind. I began to understand that anything we put on social media was going to be seen by other members of the Greek community, the Creighton community and by potential new members.

As an individual within the Greek community, I encourage the use of social media in a way that promotes your values and personality. Professionally speaking, many of us already know that most employers will perform background checks when we apply for jobs. Those include checking all social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. Ask yourself this: What would be someone’s first impression of me solely based on viewing my social media accounts? If it’s grace, charm and personality then I’d say you’re right on point.

As sisters of Alpha Phi and members of the Greek community, we are a part of something bigger than ourselves. We are held responsible for the content we post on social media, and even in the cyber world, “we are always wearing out letters.” Sometimes, individuals with no Greek life affiliation can hold negative stereotypes regarding the Greek community because of things they see on social media. It’s up to us to represent Alpha Phi and our respective Greek communities with the highest ideals of our organization in mind.  


Alpha Phi, as we all know, provides us with priceless opportunities, experiences and memories. Let’s represent those aspects through social media and change that stereotype. I hope outsiders begin to view Greek involvement as members who experience a journey together that allows them to learn about themselves, to help and support others and to become a part of the greater good. I like the sound of that.

Darshana Panchal is a collegiate member at Creighton (Theta Delta) . Learn more about Darshana by clicking here

No comments: