August 31, 2015

On the Road: Continuing to Learn



I accepted the job offer of becoming an educational leadership consultant with the idea in my head that I was going to become a mentor. I assumed that my time of learning and growing ended last spring when I said goodbye to my chapter, and that now was my time to teach and inspire chapters around North America. Mentally prepared to be an outsider visiting chapters that were nothing like my own, my life packed into a fifty pound suitcase, I ventured out onto the road. I will be honest when I say that I built up emotional walls and doors in preparation for my job.

 I assumed that it had taken me four years to form bonds with my sisters from my chapter, so how would it be physically possible for me to lead a chapter when I was the outsider. I thought my heart was too full of love for my sisters from Beta Gamma for any other chapters to be let in. Upon arriving at the University of Kentucky, it became very apparent that I still had much to learn as a consultant. My first lesson was this: part of growing up is realizing you can learn to love as many people who are willing to love in return. Without question or hesitation Iotu Nu accepted me as one of their own, they listened to my guidance and in turn taught me what team work truly means. As cliché as it may sound they ascended the emotional walls I had put up and made up camp in my heart. These women pushed themselves and me to desire and accomplish more than what people expected of them. They deserve every cheesy word and compliment I could give, and I wish I could put into words for them how they have impacted my life. Not only did they become my sisters and very close friends in a matter of weeks, they also molded me into the leader I wanted to be. One who is kind, compassionate and stern when the time reveals itself. 

I accepted the job offer of becoming an ELC with the idea in my head that I was going to become a mentor. As a mentor here is my note to any woman considering a role as an ELC: it is possible to love a chapter as much as you love your own. #whatteam?

Maddy McCallum (Beta Gamma/Colorado) is a first year educational leadership consultant. Learn more about Maddy by clicking here.

No comments: