May 7, 2015

Collegiate Perspective: A True Sorority Woman


Being a part of the Greek system in college opens so many doors, allowing young women and men to grow and develop into who they want to be. Abigal Winters is one of the women in my chapter who has constantly been the one I look up to, who has provided consistent advice, guidance and support. She was our chapter president for the 2014 school year, and went on to win the President of the Year award, Greek Goddess and the Who’s Who award at Western Michigan. She worked tirelessly for our chapter and posed as a true leader. I reached out to Abby, who graduated from Western Michigan this past Sunday, and asked her the following questions that only scrape the surface of what Alpha Phi means to this incredible leader.

How has Alpha Phi prepared you for the professional world?
“In so many ways I'm able to attribute Alpha Phi for preparing me for the professional world. I was able to graduate college with more leadership experience then I could have ever imagined. I can take the skills I learned from leading an executive board and use those very skills in any professional position I take on in the future.”

What advice would you give new members of Alpha Phi?
“Take a position as soon as you can! If you're willing to put in the time and effort into your experience with Alpha Phi, I promise you that this organization can give you more than you could have ever imagined.”

What is your fondest memory during your time as a collegiate member?
“It's so hard for me to just choose one memory after such an amazing four years with Alpha Phi, but one of my favorite memories was having the chance to travel to Palm Springs for the 2014 convention and represent the Delta Theta chapter as chapter president. There I was able to reconnect with other Alpha Phis that I had been friends with since 2012 when I attended the Emerging Leaders Institute. When all of us reconnected at convention, it was like no time had gone by at all.”

She affectionately calls me her mini-me, a nickname I am honored to have received from Abby. If I can do a fraction of the things she accomplished as a collegiate member, I will know that I have made the most of my collegiate experience. The Delta Theta chapter is sad to see Abby go, but overjoyed knowing that she has an incredible career ahead of her, a life filled with happiness, and a home on 1603 Fraternity Village Drive that she can always come back to.

Gianna Petan is a collegiate member at Western Michigan (Delta Theta). Learn more about Gianna by clicking here.

No comments: