November 20, 2014

On the Road: The Experience of a Lifetime

All of our stories begin as nervous potential new members making the big decision on what sorority we will join. At the time, you think you are making a decision that will shape the next four years of college but never really consider that it will be one decision that will change your life. When I was a new member back in 2010, I was very excited to be part of something special. Never in a million years did I think it was going to change my life forever.

Being an ELC is life changing. It’s one of the most unique experiences one can ever have. Spending months at a time living out of a suitcase, visiting chapters all over the country, submerging yourself in many different cultures –  just as it’s starting to feel like home, it’s time to pack up and head to your next stop. Every time you are getting off that plane, it is a new learning experience. A new set of people you will be working with, a new place you will be visiting, a new challenge you will face and a memory that will stick with you forever. It’s a job unlike any other in the world.



People are always asking what we do, where we live, and what made us want to be ELCs. The most common question I get is what my favorite part about being an ELC is. I have found myself giving a different answer each time because I truly can’t explain all of the different things I love about this experience. I love getting to work with so many different chapters. They are all so different from one another yet similar in so many ways. I love working with different types of people and making connections with all of them in one way or another. I love traveling to different parts of the country and experiencing the different cultures, even if it’s just for a few days. I love the sense of pride I get when I give someone my business card and say I work for Alpha Phi International. But most of all, I love being able to help chapters in any way that I can. Whether we are meeting with officers and helping them strategize for the upcoming year, or entering a recruitment list at five in the morning, making any sort of difference is the most rewarding feeling of all.

I never thought that the one decision I made to join Alpha Phi would bring me to where I am today. Alpha Phi has shaped me into the person I am and I am so proud to be an ELC. I have learned more about myself in these past few months than I ever have in my entire life. Being an ELC truly is the experience of a lifetime.

Lissette Meza (Gamma Kappa-CSU Long Beach) is a first year educational leadership consultant. Learn more about Lissette by clicking here.

No comments: