October 15, 2014

On the Road: A First Time for Everything


My journey as an educational leadership consultant has given me many “firsts.” This is my first “real world” job since graduating from college in May, and this is the first time I’ve been away from home. I’ve been able to experience and learn new things for the first time with my ELC team like going to a Cubs game and enjoying the famous Lou Malnati’s pizza at the Executive Office. The greatest of them all is that I have been given the opportunity to bring many new “firsts” to a special group of women at Iowa State University.

Since August, I have been at Iowa State University to recolonize the Zeta Delta chapter of Alpha Phi. When I arrived on campus, I had no idea what the future colony would be like. Stephanie Tripi, my fellow ELC at Iowa State, and I have been learning many things together for the first time. From learning about campus culture to mastering the Cyride bus schedule, we get to have fun while doing it together!

After many weeks of preparation, marketing, recruitment events and meeting wonderful people on campus, I am able to share and experience many more firsts with our charter members. I get to help them experience Greek life, sisterhood and Alpha Phi traditions. Being a founding member of an Alpha Phi chapter is a new and unique opportunity for these women and I love being able to help them have a special and memorable experience. It is amazing to watch them create traditions together that will stay with Zeta Delta for years to come.

I will never forget seeing the pure joy as the colony members took pictures while linking their hands in the ivy symbol for the first time after receiving their bids. Seeing their faces beam with excitement as they ran through the Campanile on their very first Bid Day, to their enthusiasm and eagerness at the first colony meeting, it has been the biggest reminder of why I love this job. I am so blessed with the ability to help bring the wonderful gift of Alpha Phi into their lives.

So far, my time as an ELC has given me many moments that I will cherish forever. I am thankful to have shared these experiences with my Alpha Phi sisters and ELC team. There are many more “firsts” I will experience in life, but I know I will never have to experience them alone because I have a group of sisters that will gladly share in them with me.

Megan Eckerle (Zeta Psi-Dayton) is a first year educational leadership consultant. Learn more about Megan by clicking here.

No comments: