August 28, 2014

On the Road: My Kind of People

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been fortunate enough to meet some of the most driven and inspirational women that I have ever met in my life. From the amazing volunteers and advisors that donate their time to keep our chapters stay on the right track, to the PHI-nominal chapter presidents that work hard and always put their chapters first. I’ve been able to witness this during training in Evanston at the Executive Office, polish and formal recruitment at the University of Alabama, and polish and formal recruitment at the University of Arizona. Every day I continue to be amazed by how much love and pride we all have for this amazing organization.



While visiting the Beta Epsilon chapter at the University of Arizona this week, I was immediately impressed with their chapter and its leadership. Their chapter president and the recruitment team were some of the most genuine and driven leaders that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Their love for Alpha Phi and each other was evident in everything they did. They demonstrated the type of leadership that every Alpha Phi chapter should aspire to have. Even though it’s hard for me to leave, I know that I am leaving the chapter in the best hands possible.

On my visits in Alabama and Arizona, I was commonly asked if I liked my job and what my favorite thing about being an ELC was. Without hesitating, I told them that I love it and that it’s been a very rewarding experience so far. Even though I have only been on the road for a couple of weeks now, I have discovered more about myself and my skills during this short time than I have my entire life…  And there are so many other reasons I love my role as an ELC:  I love the fact that I can go to a completely new and different place surrounded by a bunch of strangers, but they automatically make me feel like I am home. I love that I have the opportunity to make friendships that will last long after I’ve left the chapter.   I love that I can make a difference in not only the chapter’s future, but in the collegians’ future as well. I love the inspiration and pride that ELCs have the power to give and the unbreakable bond that my ELC team has created. I love witnessing the sisterhood, values and ideals of our Fraternity every single day within our chapters. And lastly, I love that no matter where my travels as an ELC take me, I know that they will always take me to “my kind of people.”

I have had such a truly challenging, yet amazing, experience so far these past couple of weeks and I am so grateful for my experiences in Chicago, Alabama and Arizona. I can’t wait to see what the future holds in my crazy and beautiful ELC life!

Stephanie Scott (Beta Sigma-Utah) is a first-year educational leadership consultant. Learn more about Stephanie by clicking here.

No comments: