March 22, 2014

Inside the EO: Beckie Maday

Name: Beckie Maday

Hometown: Burr Ridge, Illinois


College/Chapter: I was a Blue Demon at DePaul University and part of the Iota Eta chapter.


What was your major in college? I majored in psychology with a focus in community. I also minored in environmental science and American sign language.


What was your plan post-graduation? Did you pursue a graduate degree post-graduation? I am finishing my master’s degree in college student affairs at Eastern Illinois University.

Why did you decide to work for Alpha Phi International Fraternity? I was so excited when I learned about the open position at Alpha Phi. When I applied, I was volunteering and I had met a few staff members. I loved their personalities and was eager to work with them. The position itself has a lot of opportunities to combine my graduate studies in college student affairs and fraternity and sorority life, so I couldn’t think of a better opportunity to start my career in higher education.

What is your job title? Program Coordinator of Membership Services

When did you start in your current position? I started part time in March 2014 and will be full time after graduation in May 2014.

What is your favorite memory of Alpha Phi—as a collegian, alumna or staff member?
Attending the Association of Fraternal Leadership & Values (AFLV) in St. Louis, Missouri, and having the opportunity to meet many other Alpha Phis from across the Midwest during a luncheon at the conference. It was really awesome to see what other campuses were doing the same and differently than my own. I also enjoyed meeting Alpha Phis that were professionals, like Greek Advisors, and realizing that I wanted to be like them some day.

What do you like best about working at the Executive Office or what are you most looking forward to? I'm excited to combine my sorority experience with my education. I love the people that I am surrounded by, as they all have the same passion that I do, and that is to create rewarding experiences for Alpha Phi members.

What are some of your goals for the next few years? To make the process of filling out forms easier for students to complete and easier for the staff to understand. Another goal of mine is to get to know some of the collegians in chapters on a more personal basis. A personal goal I have is to adopt a dog and name him Stanley (he will be decked out in Blackhawks gear!).

Do you have any advice for current collegiate members? Make the experience the one you want it to be. If you want to be a leader, take the opportunities that Alpha Phi provides and go to everything that you can. Don’t let your grades fall behind, make smart choices, set goals for yourself, get connected with professionals and most importantly, take time for yourself and have fun!

No comments: