January 23, 2014

On the Road: Transitions

I learned about the ELC program when I was a sophomore attending Leadership Conference. It sounded like the most amazing job in the world. The ELC program was the best fit for me coming out of college. I was uneasy about what I wanted to do with my life and I still didn’t really know who I was. The transition from college life to ELC life was a natural next step for me and many of the other consultants. As we start thinking about transitioning from ELC life to the real world, it’s a little scary. We still live in a collegiate environment and are surrounded by the same things we were for four years in college. It’s an interesting feeling to realize that this experience is coming to an end and my life will be changing paths.

 

What I didn’t realize when I learned about the ELC program—and even in the beginning of my journey as an ELC—is how much I would learn about myself and how much this job would help shape my career. I have learned that I now want to pursue a career in event planning or marketing for either a zoo or an environmental organization. I majored in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and loved it, but had no idea how I was going to apply my degree to any career path that I chose. The ELC experience has opened my eyes and given me insight into how to combine both my Alpha Phi experience and my Biology degree into one potential career path.

I have gained some very valuable life skills along my journey and have learned a lot about myself. I have realized that while I can be an extrovert, I am also very much an introvert and a homebody. I have realized what is important in life and what isn’t. Coming out of college we are so young, and having the experience that I’ve had as an ELC has allowed me to grow and mature more than I think I would have had I not been an ELC. This position has given me the confidence to go after what I want and has shown that my time and efforts are most valuable when I am making a difference in someone’s life or one of our chapters. Thanks to my journey as an ELC I now want to make a difference in our world, and the transition into the real world seems a little less daunting.
 
Jessica Carver (Beta Gamma-Colorado) is a first year Educational Leadership Consultant.

No comments: