November 3, 2013

On the Road: Dedication and Enthusiasm from a Young Chapter








5 pairs of shoes, 6 dresses, 500 business cards, and a carry-on with just enough room to get your checked bag under 50 pounds in time to make your flight. Life as a professional sorority woman is busy. You wake up to 20 e-mails, make a lot of late night runs to Taco Bell, and most importantly you have an amazing opportunity to create unique relationships with amazing collegiate chapter members.

Over the past month I have been fortunate to work with the young Beta Phi chapter at Whitman College. Arriving in Walla Walla, Washington I expected two things: at least one sunburn and a whole lot of onions. What I had not expected was how much the women in the chapter, and all of the chapters I have visited, would impact me.


Whitman is a small, private liberal arts college with a student population of just over 1,400. The Beta Phi chapter is housed in section (similar to dormitories) where it is connected to the three other sororities on campus. I started off my time at Whitman working with the chapter on preparations for their first formal recruitment since colonization. 

Polish days were long, but the chapter members encouraged each other with icebreakers and positive attitudes. I was so impressed by the level of involvement and the willingness to learn from such a young chapter.




After weeks of hard work and careful planning, recruitment had finally come. The chapter worked aimlessly to become even stronger with recruitment. With guidance from their recruitment team and wonderful volunteers, they were able to match quota and welcome 30 new members into Alpha Phi!

Seeing how much progress the chapter has made since bid night is inspiring. I am constantly impressed by their drive to grow and improve their chapter. This fall, they will be hosting their very first Red Dress Gala and have already collected dozens of auction items. 

I feel very lucky to work with the Beta Phi chapter, and I can’t wait to see what else they accomplish this year and in the years to come!


Taylor Surby (Beta Upsilon-Oregon State) is a first year ELC. 


No comments: