November 18, 2013

Collegiate Perspective: Living the Alpha Phi Creed Today

I believe in my Fraternity.
I believe in the friendships formed
in the springtime of my youth.
I believe in its high ideals
which lift me up beyond myself.
I believe in its earnest drive for good scholarship,
moral character, and genuine culture.
I believe in it as a shrine of
international sisterhood wherein
I may find love and loyalty,
sympathy and understanding, inspiration
and opportunity.
I believe in it as a creator of good citizenship,
helping me to do my work well,
to live in harmony with others, and
to serve my country and to trust in God.
I believe in my Fraternity.
I believe in Alpha Phi.
-Annette Holt Hitchcock, (Pi-North Dakota) 1912

Although the Alpha Phi Creed was written over one hundred years ago, each time I read it I am reminded why Alpha Phi is the thriving and inspiring organization it is today.  The beauty of Alpha Phi lies in its timelessness.  Each Alpha Phi strives to live out the creed on her own, but we are successful because we have one another to look to for support.
 
As the fall semester wraps up at Carnegie Mellon I was amazed to learn that eighteen of my Alpha Phi sisters and myself were selected as Greek Role Models for this semester.  Our chapter has the highest representation in this semester’s selected role models and I am reminded once again how inspiring the women I am surrounded by are, not just to our chapter, but to the entire Greek community.  These women are truly examples of the good scholarship that pushes to me achieve more, the moral character that inspires me to be a better person, and the genuine culture of friendship and kind women that I have found in Alpha Phi.

This semester my chapter has also had the opportunity to receive so much help and guidance from our Educational Leadership Consultant Chelsea Dubrofsky (Maryland – Delta Zeta), and our Chapter Advisor Neill McIvor (Virginia – Zeta Iota).  The way these women selflessly give their time and energy is exactly what an international sisterhood means.  These supportive women continue to live the Alpha Phi creed beyond their college years, and are wonderful examples of a place to find love and loyalty, sympathy and understanding, inspiration and opportunity, as our chapter continues to learn and grow.  It is wonderful to work closely with women who care so much about the future of our chapter at Carnegie Mellon, and I know they have helped inspire some of our senior members to apply to be ELCs and volunteer with local chapters after they graduate this spring.
 
Alpha Phi is an organization that always encourages me to be the best version of myself, in my character, in my academics, and in my relationships.  I constantly find support in my sisters, whether it’s buckling down to study for a difficult exam, or making sure I devote adequate time to my relationships with my family, I know my sisters in Alpha Phi have my best interests in mind.  The Alpha Phi Creed is just as applicable today as it was over one hundred years ago because it is both the bond the ties us to the sisters who have come before us, and the standard to which we hold ourselves as Alpha Phis.  I truly do believe in my fraternity, I believe in Alpha Phi.
 
Catherine Spence is a collegiate member at Carnegie Mellon (Iota Sigma). Read her bio by clicking here.

No comments: