October 11, 2013

Inside the EO: Melissa Kiser


Name:  Melissa Kiser


Hometown: I moved around quite a bit, but I mostly grew up in Tucson, Arizona


Where did you attend college and what chapter were you a part of there? I went to the University of Arizona (Go Cats!) and was a part of the Beta Epsilon chapter


What was your major in college? I studied Communications and Women’s Studies


What was your plan post-graduation? My plan after college graduation was to move to Chicago, start a career in the Windy City, and be close to my family.


Why did you decide to work for Alpha Phi International Fraternity? I jumped at the chance to combine my background of working with nonprofit associations and my love of Alpha Phi. Alpha Phi is such a big part of my life, I was so excited at the opportunity to make it my full time job too. 


What is your job title? Director of Member Engagement and Marketing


How long have you been working for Alpha Phi? How long have you been in your current position? I started in early September, so just over a month


What is your favorite memory of Alpha Phi—as a collegian, alumna, or staff member? I would say the group of women I became best friends with that are now sprinkled across the country. There is a group of 12 of us from our new member class that have always been very close. We talk almost daily, have been there for each other to celebrate graduations, promotions, moves, weddings, and babies, and we meet up at least once a year for in-person reunions. And every time we get together, we pick up right where we left off.


What drew you to work at the Executive Office? I honestly love coming to work every day and focusing on various projects that help get the word out about how fantastic it is to be an Alpha Phi. 


What are some of your goals for the next few years? I would like to concentrate on growing the Alpha Phi presence through social media, member engagement, and ensuring our members know that Alpha Phi is a lifetime experience. 


Do you have any advice for current collegiate members? I would say that you should enjoy every minute with your sisters, especially those moments together that don’t seem like such a big deal at the time like going out for group lunches, staying up late talking, and getting ready to go out. Also, I would suggest taking advantage of the numerous opportunities to gain experience that will help you figure out what you want to do post-college like volunteering, internships, part-time jobs, and meeting as many people as you can to help build your network.  

No comments: