September 10, 2013

On the Road: Getting Crafty with Alpha Phi



Walmart. Home Depot. Target. Repeat. I spend more time in these stores during the month of August than I do the rest of the year. From fashioning archways out of PVC pipes to potting flowers to painting walls, my job description goes far beyond just an Educational Leadership Consultant. As I spend hours on Pinterest looking for ideas for the perfect centerpieces and just the right bite size food, I have no idea how past ELCs got along before websites like these!



I recently visited the Iota Xi chapter at Denver University. They needed to get super crafty because of their unique housing situation. Their facility is an older apartment-style dorm occupied by all Alpha Phis. The rooms range from singles to triples and each is equipped with its own kitchen and bathroom. The setup is great, but since they’re the only chapter with this living arrangement, they work extra hard to fix it up before formal recruitment begins. From the time I arrived to the time I left, the space had undergone a pretty significant transformation. I find it amazing what 50 collegiate women can do in a matter of days. When I applied for this job, I never thought I would learn how to patch holes in walls. I learn more life skills from the women I encounter on the road than I could have ever imagined!


From extreme crafting to clever songs, Alpha Phi chapters are in full recruitment mode. When potential new members walk through the doors of Alpha Phi, they may not notice all of the things the chapter spent weeks fixing, but they will definitely be amazed by the women they meet. When all is said and done, it’s the women who attract the members to join their sisterhood, not the d├ęcor. The late night craft sessions are when some of the best bonding occurs and that affection and respect towards one another translates to the potential new members.  I wish the best of luck to all of the Alpha Phis and congratulations to every new member!


Emily Coulouras (Beta Epsilon-Arizona) is a second year ELC.



No comments: