September 17, 2013

A Message from Alpha Phi International Fraternity’s Executive Director


Every year, the large composite companies send the Alpha Phi Executive Office copies of the composites they have produced for our chapters across the United States and Canada. We always enjoy looking through them and noting how well our chapters are doing and how they have grown. I am always incredibly proud when I look through them to note the wonderful diversity among our collegiate membership. Since its inception, Alpha Phi has always been a welcoming organization that has never turned a blind eye to discrimination. This steadfastness has been reinforced the last two weeks, as many of our alumnae across the globe have written in concern to ensure that Alpha Phi remains an organization that is true to this ideal and have professed their personal support and reinforcement as well. On this issue we will not waiver. Ever.


Linda Wells Kahangi (Zeta Delta-Iowa State) is the executive director of Alpha Phi International Fraternity

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I am so proud to be a member of this sorority. Well said.

Jane Wells Schooley said...

I was one of those alums who became immediately concerned upon reading the news out of University of Alabama. I saw that we had a chapter there and wrote International about what our Alpha Phi leaders were doing to take a stand for what is right and just. I was certain that we had an unwavering commitment to non-discrimination and human rights. I am so glad to see that reaffirmed in the Director's blog. I am hoping that the sisters in Alabama are speaking out as well as being non-discriminatory in their pledging. I am also hopeful that the Chapter advisers are able to provide some guidance and training where necessary. Having lived through the late days of the Civil Rights movement and the national women'movement in the 70's and 80's, I appreciate how scary it can be to take a stand. However, this is one of my big take-aways from my Alpha Phi days as a young woman-lead in the face of opposition so others can have a better life.