August 28, 2013

On the Road: "What a Small World"



 
Many adults suggest that college freshman join Greek life because of the networking benefits. As cliché as it sounds, it’s true. I never really understood that until starting my job as an Educational Leadership Consultant (ELC). Although it has only been a month on my journey as an ELC, I’ve used the phrase, “What a small world,” more times this month than I have my entire life.

My second visit was to Georgia Tech, located in the beautiful city of Atlanta. I was picked up from the airport by the chapter advisor who is an Omega (Texas) alumna. Little did I know she grew up in the town right next to me in a Chicago suburb. Instantly, I felt right at home in the “Big Peach.”

Home. A term the Iota Mu chapter can now use literally, not just figuratively. I have had the opportunity to announce the exciting news of the Alpha Phi house breaking ground within the next year at Georgia Tech. I cannot wait to see the growth of the chapter as their very own home grows right next to the Georgia Tech football stadium.
Traveling as an ELC brings you to places you’ve never been, yet everywhere I’ve traveled thus far has made me feel right at home. During polish week for recruitment, many chapters have Parents/Alumnae night where local alumnae and members’ parents come to watch the recruitment skit and songs the ladies sing throughout the recruitment rounds. As I introduced myself to the Atlanta alumnae at Georgia Tech’s Parent/Alumnae night, I met one woman who is a Gamma Rho alumna—a Penn Stater just like me. I could not believe I met an alumna from my chapter at another chapter’s event. We were able to bond over our love for Alpha Phi, the Nittany Lions, and…. Math! Soon after talking, I found out she graduated with the same degree in Secondary Education Mathematics like me. I was basically seeing myself in the future. It truly is a small world, and I cannot wait to see how much smaller it can be as I continue my journey as an ELC.
 
Liz Palumbo (Gamma Rho-Penn State) is a first year Educational Leadership Consultant.

No comments: