May 31, 2013

Here Comes the Phi!


You may have heard the phrase, "You don't go to college to meet your husband, you go to college to meet your bridesmaids."

In this case, my Alpha Phi sorority sister Katie got both! Katie is a close friend and sister of mine that I met back in 2008 and our friendship has remained close, even after graduation.  I was thrilled when I received a text message last summer about an engagement to her college sweetheart, Sam. A few weeks later, she asked two other Alpha Phi sisters and myself to embark on their journey to becoming Man and Wife and become her bridesmaids along with Sam’s sister.

The past year has been a tremendous journey for everyone involved in the wedding planning. Since everyone in the bridal party lives on different ends of the state, attending wedding showers and events was a great reason to meet up.  These events provide an opportunity to get everyone together from to catch up, reminisce and dream about the future for the Mr. and Mrs.

Going through this experience with Katie and my sisters really brings new meaning to the quote “It’s not just for four years but for life.” When I joined Alpha Phi, I couldn’t imagine the path it has taken me on. The friendships I have made will stay with me forever and I am excited to watch them grow as my friends and myself start on new paths – developing careers, getting married, starting families.

Embarking on this journey with my sisters just shows the lifelong friends that Alpha Phi provides to its members and the experiences you have with your sisters don’t stop at graduation.  I know when my wedding day comes I will have my Alpha Phi sisters by my side just as they have been since I’ve joined Alpha Phi so many years ago.  I hope each one of you cherishes your Alpha Phi friendships for many years to come.

Brenna Seger graduated in May 2012 from the University of Central Missouri with her degree in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. During her four years in Alpha Phi, she was a Greek Goddess, the Director of Chapter Events, New Member Educator, a Gamma Chi Recruitment Counselor, and served on the National Panhellenic Executive Board as Vice President of Scholarship. In her free time, she loves to do things that she didn’t have time for as an undergrad – cooking, sleeping a full eight hours a night, and reading – for fun!  

No comments: