January 30, 2013

One Beta Sigma Sister's Touching Story

Post written by collegiate member Kenzie Peyton (Beta Sigma-Utah)

January 28, 2013


I just want to take a second to highlight my sisters in the Beta Sigma chapter at the University of Utah.

Three years ago today, my father passed very unexpectedly of a heart attack. Needless to say, I am still a wreck today. It doesn’t get easier with each year like people would think, and as each year passes, more and more people forget. Everyone expects you to just get over it, but that is not possible. I felt so alone and isolated today—until my sisters stepped in.

Some of them know the story about the last time I saw my dad. It was at my region drill competition, and he gave me the most beautiful bouquet of purple flowers that I had ever seen. They made me cry just looking at them. Ten days later, the night before my state competition, he passed.

All day today, I prayed and prayed and prayed. ALL I wanted was to see a purple flower. Just SEE one so that I knew he was still with me or that someone cared that his death was still affecting me. I didn’t tell anyone about my prayer, as I tend to keep these things to myself. My day continued, and I felt more alone than I ever have. I wasn’t motivated to do anything. The only reason I left my house was to go take a test for my anatomy class.

When I returned home, I walked into my room to find a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of purple flowers with a card from my Alpha Phi sisters. It was the answer to my prayers. This was the one act of kindness that I needed today to remind me that I can get through this. To remind me that I am not alone.

I couldn’t do this without my sisters, especially our president Stephanie Scott. Stephanie goes above and beyond her presidential duties constantly. She is the most thoughtful, caring, genuine, loving person I know, and has been my angel through this whole journey. I love Alpha Phi, I love my chapter, I love everything we represent, and I owe my fraternity so much. I do my best to give back by serving as VPPE and trying to be as involved as possible, but even then, I know I will always be in debt to this amazing organization and the people involved.

No comments: