January 26, 2012

Inside the EO: Kary Huffman

What is your name? Kary Crumm Huffman

Where are you originally from? San Jose, CA

Where did you attend college and what chapter were you a part of there? San Jose State University, Beta Psi Chapter

What was your major in college? English, minored in religious studies

What was your plan post-graduation? My plan was to be a Greek Advisor and I started down that path in a graduate program at SJSU. I then realized that Greek advisors worked over 60 hours a week sometimes and decided that the career was not conducive to me having a family. Thus, I went back to the original plan of being a high school English teacher. After I had my first son, I decided to work from home doing bookkeeping for Alpha Phi chapters with Sorority Solutions, Inc.

Why did you decide to work for Alpha Phi International Fraternity? I obviously love Alpha Phi and I have spent many years volunteering in various capacities. I decided to work for Alpha Phi International both to meet and “touch” a larger group of collegiate and alumnae, but also to really make sure that our new Billhighway gets off the ground running in such a way as to really benefit our collegiate chapters.

What is your job title? Program Coordinator, Finance

When did you start in your current position? January 2012

What is your favorite memory of Alpha Phi—as a collegian, alumna, or staff member?
My favorite memory so far would have to be volunteering to work with a struggling chapter and watching that chapter reach campus total for the first time in over a decade. So many others had given up on the chapter and I decided to focus on them, giving them the tools to function as a proper collegiate chapter, and they have just flourished. I was so proud to hear their screams and see their pride when they accomplished such a big goal.

What do you like best about working at the Executive Office or what are you most looking forward to? I am very familiar with our chapters on the west coast, and I am very much looking forward to meeting, connecting, and working with our chapters throughout the rest of the United States and Canada.

What are some of your goals for the next few years? My goal would be to help steam-line the fraternity’s financial processes so that there is consistency in all of our programs, procedures, and messages regarding chapter finances.

Do you have any advice for current collegiate members? Volunteer as an alumna! Though I have many fond memories of being a collegian and loved my time at my collegiate chapter, I have had the best experiences and have made some of my best friends by volunteering after I graduated!

1 comment:

Madame Rossignol said...

Yay Kary! This fabulous news!