May 20, 2011

Alpha Phis Overseas

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in our sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain


 
So, you’re thinking about studying abroad. It’s exciting, right? Maybe a little scary, too. More than likely, the possibility of venturing off from the campus that you call Home Sweet Home is a little unnerving. There are factors such as cost, location and amount of time away from loved ones that are no doubt making this decision an intimidating one.

If you’re a planner like me, you probably share my firm belief in making any major decision with a good, organized rationale. Personally, that means whipping out lists of pros and cons like it’s nobody’s business. And when it comes to studying abroad, my list shows that the pros far outweigh the cons.

My friends and family who have adventured to far off places all refer to their travels as “the experience of a lifetime”. Even if it does sound like something cheesy that you’d read in a brochure, I couldn’t agree more. That's why I’m taking my own advice and studying abroad! I’m still undecided about where I’d like to travel, but I know that Alpha Phi will be with me now more than ever. Alpha Phi International has established a new Facebook page, appropriately titled “Alpha Phis Overseas”. The page hosts photos and stories from those currently abroad, information for collegiate members and their parents, alumnae connections, discussion boards for various topics and more! Alpha Phi encourages using this “home base” to share experiences outside the United States with family, friends and sisters. I can’t wait to contribute to the page and to share my adventures!

For questions, comments, or concerns regarding this Facebook page, or if you’d like to be included in the listing of Alpha Phis currently studying abroad, please contact Kristen Mitchell at kmitchell@alphaphi.org. Check out “Alpha Phis Overseas” today and be sure to click “Like!”


Stephanie LeBlanc is a member of the Upsilon chapter at Washburn.

No comments: