March 3, 2011

Staff Profile: "Fresh Faces" Series

Name: Heather Scheuer

Originally from: Michigan – but I’ve lived in Georgia and now Illinois.

Chapter: Delta Eta at Adrian College

Major: Marketing major with an Art History minor

Job Title: Program Manager of Collegiate Chapter Services

How long have you been working at the EO? Since August 2010

What was your plan post-graduation? I moved to Georgia to work for IBM as a Client Representative for the Sales Department. I’m not a technical person, but I do enjoy working with people to help solve problems. I want to get a graduate degree, however, I haven’t decided what my focus will be yet.

Why did you decide to work for Alpha Phi International Fraternity? I have stayed engaged as a volunteer since graduation. I worked as an advisor at a colony and enjoyed working with collegians a lot. I understand how my role impacts the members of our organization and I feel lucky to be able to work for an organization I truly believe in.

What is your favorite memory of Alpha Phi—as a collegian, alumna, or staff member? It’s impossible to pick just one… but one of my favorite Alpha Phi stories is from the first week I was living in Georgia. I had just graduated college and moved to a new state. While I was unloading my car one of my neighbors came outside and got into her car. She started to back out of her parking spot and then suddenly hit the breaks. She ran over to me because she saw the Alpha Phi sticker in my back window. It turns out my next door neighbor was an Alpha Phi and was President of the Atlanta Alumnae Chapter! It really helped knowing there was someone I had a connection with in a new city.

What do you like best about working at the Executive Office? Even though I have a really long commute to the EO, I enjoy working in such a collaborative environment. Each department is willing to help because we are all working towards the same greater good. Not to mention if you ever need a break you can get lost looking at the memorabilia we have on display in the office!

What are some of your goals for the next few years? The Alpha Phi Experience is continuously evolving and there are always new opportunities for growth and assistance. I enjoy learning from our collegiate members and want to help keep the education and guidance we provide for our chapters relevant and impactful. I’m working with our chapters to help reestablish their history and make the changes necessary for advancement.

Do you have any advice for current collegiate members? Enjoy every moment of your collegiate experience – it goes by way too fast. But more importantly, understand that your experience doesn’t stop once you graduate. My sisters in Georgia, who came from all over the country, helped me build a home there. When I moved again to Illinois I got to reconnect with sisters from Delta Eta and other chapters. I can’t imagine how different my life would be if I stopped being an active participant in the fraternity when college ended.


Kristen Mitchell is the Program Manager of Marketing and Communications at the Executive Office. She can be reached at kmitchell@alphaphi.org.

1 comment:

Mrs L said...

I'm just now seeing this post!! That's one of my favorite memories too! It was fate that we were going to live next door to each other :)