July 21, 2010

Alumnae Perspective



Kimberly Riha (Iowa-Delta Epsilon)

Alumnae




Recently I met a woman that currently goes to The University of Iowa and is a member of a different sorority on campus. I was excited to share our experiences and get to know some more about her chapter, but I quickly found that she had a much different experience than I did. She said that she has a great time with the other women in her chapter and she really enjoys it, but she also told me that she isn’t involved and knows next to nothing about the other chapters on campus.

When I joined Alpha Phi I was so excited to learn everything I could about my chapter. I loved finding out about the rich history, the philanthropy and the values of the women who came before me. As time passed and I became more involved in my chapter, I got to know more about the rest of the Panhellenic community on campus. When I became a recruitment guide I got a crash course on the background of all 14 chapters, and I found it so interesting to learn about the similarities and differences. Meeting this woman who didn’t even know where Alpha Phi was located on campus reminded me that a lot of women don’t get as involved in their sorority as I did with Alpha Phi.

This chance meeting made me proud to be part of a group of women that has its own values and is also compassionate and understanding of the values of others. Alpha Phi teaches women of her own history, and also instills the desire to learn about others and work together as a community—empowering women to be the very best version of themselves. I can only hope that other sororities try to strengthen their members the way Alpha Phi has strengthened me.

No comments: