May 5, 2010

On the Road




Courtney McCallum (Beta Gamma-Colorado)
08-09 ELC




When I was a collegiate member, I never realized what being part of an International organization really meant. At the University of Colorado- Boulder we would mention it during recruitment and teach our new members about our different chapters, but I had never met an Alpha Phi from a Canadian chapter or a member from another country. It was not until last year that I first met two Canadian sisters (and soon-to-be coworkers), Sarah-Beth Anders and Tracy Briggs. They introduced me to their chapter at Convention where I met with presidents and volunteers from more than 147 chapters!! It was such an overwhelming experience to see the enormity of Alpha Phi.

Later that summer as I received the list of chapters I would visit throughout the year, I was ecstatic to see I would be visiting two chapters in Canada – the University of Toronto and the University of Western Ontario. They were eager to show me around Toronto and their universities! We visited the CN Tower, they took me shopping down Bloor Street, and we went to several amazing restaurants. Toronto has become one of my favorite cities, and I know I have many sisters there to go visit in the future.

Some Things I Learned in Canada:

1) They only use the term university. The term “college” in Canada refers to trade schools.

2) When referring to their year in university, they are 1st years to 4th years (not freshmen to seniors).

3) In most places you can pay with American money, but you will receive Canadian money in return.

4) Students refer to their “majors” as “programs.”

5) A “garborator” is a sink disposal.

6) They say “postal code” instead of “zip code.”

7) Some of the words are spelled differently. For example: “colour” instead of “color”

8) They have provinces NOT states.

Working as an ELC has been eye opening in many ways. I have made so many new friends from all over the United States and Canada. I am thankful for this opportunity to give back to Alpha Phi, and feel even more fortunate to continue as an ELC for an additional year. There are so many more places to go, more places to see, and more people to meet.

No comments: